Sweet summertime at the Swissôtel Chicago
BY WENDY ALTSCHULER Special Columnist
- Moms that fly
- A night at the museum: Dozin' with the Dinos
- The ultimate mini-vaca: Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells
- Spotlight on author and mother, Joelle Charbonneau
- Jack Frost has nothing on you: 3 tips for surviving the cold
- Say Om: yoga at any age
- Indoor trampoline park, Sky High Sports, entertains your energizer bunnies
- Six Flags Great America's Fright Fest is a bone-chilling adventure
- First dental exam scares the parent more than the child
- Morton Arboretum leaves your children entertained, tricks them into learning
- Lincoln Park Zoo educates, inspires children through hands-on learning experiences
- 5 kid-friendly beaches in Chicago
- How to capture your family on film
- All aboard at a trail-blazing, model-train restaurant
- An insider perspective on Montreal, Canada
- Christmas in July: Santa’s Village Azoosment Park
- Seadog Cruises and Navy Pier: Expect the unexpected
- One lump or two: Chicago Afternoon Tea for families
- Extraordinary Experiences and Stingray Touch at Chicago’s Shedd Aquarium
- Have a romantic adventure-date; kayak the Chicago River
- Flying trapeze with the greatest of ease in Chicago
- Moms: this one is for you
WENDY CITY MOM ·
the parenting column ·
With lighter summer schedules and more opportunities for exploring and adventure, families are taking advantage of easy access to the vibrant city of Chicago. To-do lists are long and summer is short. A simple way to fit it all in is to make a mini-vacation out of it and stay the night in The Windy City. Here are three reasons why the Swissôtel Chicago is one of the best for families:
Impressive architecture, stellar views
Designed by Chicago architect, Harry Weese (who also designed the Time and Life Building), the opulent Swissôtel Chicago is a sizeable silver glass triangular tower that points north, affording two sides of unobstructed Chicago River views. Interestingly enough, one other striking Weese designed building has a similar triangular shape, which minimizes hallway lengths: the Metropolitan Correctional Center.
Guests at the Swissôtel Chicago will be able to see Navy Pier, Buckingham Fountain, Lake Michigan and a myriad of buildings such as the 82-story Aqua Tower, which is the tallest edifice in the world to have a female lead architect (Jeanne Gang).
Kid-centric and perfect for parents
Parents can indulge in an elegantly considered contemporary room full of tasteful amenities while kids can find comfort and fun in an adjoining room designed to their liking. Children that love dinosaurs, for example, will find their room decked out in dinosaur-themed blankets, toys and bathroom accessories.
“Our kids’ suites take on a life of their own and stimulate all the senses, making a traditional hotel room into a total wonderland. The rooms can be set up to feature one of three different themes - planets, dinosaurs, or fish - based on your kid’s interests,” said Jack Breisacher, General Manager Swissôtel Chicago. “They are also designed in conjunction with some of the most incredible attractions in Chicago: the Planetarium, The Field Museum, and The Shedd Aquarium; all of which are valued partners of Swissôtel Chicago.”
In addition, the hotel has a lovely pool with panoramic views, located on the 42nd floor; several dining options, with sustenance available around the clock to accommodate every member of your family; and the expansive Penthouse Fitness Centre for parents that want to get a workout in.
The Swissôtel Chicago is a stone’s throw from shopping on The Magnificent Mile, well-liked restaurants, Millennium and Grant Parks, Navy Pier, the Riverwalk and McDonald’s Cycle Center, which rents bicycles and inline skates and offers bicycle and Segway tours. Families can check off any desirable summer objective on their list: art, music, fashion, athletics, festivals and up-to-the-minute restaurants.
Visit www.swissotel.com and be sure to view the packages and special promotions. For example, the Shedd Aquarium Package, which is available year round, includes: breakfast for two, two VIP Shedd tickets and access to the hotel’s pool and fitness center.