Lewis' Lanstiak and Bridel take home ITA Women's Tennis Regional Awards
Coach of the year and player to watch: Brett Bridel and Zsofia Lanstiak were both feted by the ITA on Tuesday. | Photo by Steve Woltmann
- Lewis baseball opens NCAA Midwest Regional on Thursday with Indianapolis
- Uno Lapimaa named ITA Midwest Region Tennis Player of the Year
- Tanis and Hodur named to USTFCCCA All-Region Outdoor Track and Field Teams
- Jayme Hefler claims Honorable Mention All-America Softball accolades
- Lewis trio selected to USTFCCCA All-Region Outdoor Track and Field Team
- Columbus State drops Lewis women's tennis, 5-0, in 'Sweet 16'
Romeoville, Ill. - The No. 22 Lewis University women's tennis team earned a few more awards on Tuesday (May 15) as sophomore Zsofia Lanstiak (Budapest, Hungary/Karinthy Frigyes Gimnazium) was selected as the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Midwest Region 'Player To Watch' and head women's coach Brett Bridel nabbed Wilson/ITA Midwest Region Coach of the Year accolades.
Lanstiak, the 2012 Great Lakes Valley Conference Player of the Year, finished her sophomore campaign with a singles record of 36-2 and a combined doubles mark of 36-3. As of May 2nd, Lanstiak was ranked 25th in the country for singles play. Last fall, Lanstiak paired up with sophomore Zsofia Kranczicki (Eger, Hungary / Szilagyi Erzsebet Gimnazium es Kollegium) to finish third overall in the doubles bracket of the USTA / ITA National Small College Championships.
Bridel guided the Flyers to their first-ever Great Lakes Valley Conference Championship and berth into the NCAA 'Sweet 16' following their regional championship victory over Northwood. The Flyers finished the season with a record of 24-3, which included a 13-match and nine match winning streak.