A sweet and savory holiday menu
Red Tart Cherry Glazed Ham
Dress it up
Here are four delicious ways to dress up your holiday salads. Just start with this basic vinaigrette recipe, and mix in your favorite preserves flavor and one other simple ingredient.
Basic Vinaigrette — Mix 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon water, 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Whisk in 1/4 cup Crisco Pure Canola Oil.
—Strawberry Basil Vinaigrette — Add 1/2 cup Smucker’s Orchard’s Finest Pacific Mountain Strawberry Preserves and 2 teaspoons finely minced basil.
—Raspberry Cranberry and Rosemary Vinaigrette — Add 1/2 cup Smucker’s Orchard’s Finest Lakeside Raspberry Cranberry Preserves and 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh rosemary.
—Citrus Ginger Vinaigrette — Add 1/2 cup Smucker’s Orchard’s Finest Pacific Grove Orange Marmalade Medley and 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger root.
—Apricot Ginger Vinaigrette — Add 1/2 cup Smucker’s Orchard’s Finest Coastal Valley Peach Apricot Preserves and 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger root.
- The Ultimate Holiday Gift Guide
- 11 gifts for a fashionista
- Members only: Gifts that occupy zero space, provide hours of fun and get kids out of the house
- Gifts for your wiz kid: Back to basics with games and books
- Winning present ideas for your favorite sports enthusiast
- Gifts for those children who have been nice
- Wrap it up
- Have a holly, jolly celebration
- Healthy for the holidays
- Have yourself an affordable little holiday
- The O-Christmas-Tree challenge
- How to accommodate holiday guests
- What to consider before buying a tablet
- Enjoy a safe and cozy winter
- Fabulous, creative holiday party themes
- Holiday craft fairs call for vendors
- Help end world hunger this holiday
You want to bring out the best for your next holiday gathering, ensuring a memorable meal for family and friends. With a few simple tips and easier-than-you-think recipes, you can do just that.
—Prep the night before — Save time by chopping vegetables or prepping glazes the day before. For example, prepare the spread for Goat Cheese Bruschetta with Berry-Thyme Spread the night before. The day of the party, toast baguette slices 10 minutes before guests arrive, and the delicious appetizer will come together in minutes.
—Allow for creativity — Allow guests to put their own finishing touches on their dishes by setting out a variety of toppings. Raspberry Almond Waffles provide a base for your friends and family to get creative.
—Make it a group effort — Ask guests to bring their favorite holiday side dishes or desserts to complement the main course to encourage a wide variety. If you’re making Red Tart Cherry Glazed Ham as the centerpiece of the meal, let guests know so they can plan accordingly.
Courtesy of Family Features
Red Tart Cherry Glazed Ham
Makes: 16 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
1 4 to 5-pound fully cooked boneless ham,
sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 12-ounce jar Smucker’s Orchard’s Finest
Michigan Red Tart Cherry Preserves
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash ground cloves, if desired
2 tablespoons raisins, if desired
1. HEAT oven to 325°F. Overlap slices of ham in shallow baking pan; cover with aluminum foil. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 140°F.
2. COMBINE preserves, vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
3. ARRANGE ham slices on serving platter. Spoon 1/4 cup glaze over center of ham. Serve with remaining warm glaze.
Raspberry Almond Waffles
Makes: 10 (6-inch) waffles
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
1 14-ounce can Eagle Brand
Sweetened Condensed Milk,
3 large eggs
2 cups Pillsbury BEST All Purpose
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup Crisco Pure Vegetable Oil
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup sliced almonds, chopped
Crisco Original No-Stick Cooking
1 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
2/3 cup Smucker’s Orchard’s Finest
Lakeside Raspberry Cranberry
Preserves or 2/3 cup Smucker’s
Red Raspberry Preserves
2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted*
30 fresh red raspberries
1. COAT waffle iron with no-stick cooking spray. Heat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions. Reserve 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk for topping.
2. WHISK eggs in large bowl until fluffy. Blend in remaining sweetened condensed milk, flour, water, oil, baking powder, salt and almond extract just until batter is smooth. Stir in chopped almonds.
3. POUR a scant 2/3 cup of batter onto center of hot waffle iron and close lid. Bake about 3 to 4 minutes or until steaming stops. Use a fork to remove waffle. Repeat with remaining batter.
1. BEAT cream in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add reserved 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk and almond extract. Beat until smooth.
2. SPREAD each waffle with 1 tablespoon preserves. Top with whipped cream, toasted almonds and fresh raspberries.
*To toast almonds: Place almonds in dry nonstick skillet. Cook over medium heat, shaking pan until nuts are lightly browned. Remove from pan immediately to avoid over-browning.
Goat Cheese Bruschetta with Berry-Thyme Spread
Makes: 12 slices
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
1/4 cup Smucker’s Orchard’s Finest Northwest
Triple Berry Preserves
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, plus additional
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 8-ounce baguette
1 tablespoon Crisco 100% Extra Virgin
4 ounces goat cheese
Fresh thyme leaves (optional), for garnish
1. COMBINE preserves, shallots, balsamic vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper in small bowl.
2. SLICE baguette into 1/2-inch slices. Brush both sides of each slice lightly with olive oil. Heat skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Grill baguette slices, 4 at a time, 2 to 3 minutes per side or until lightly browned. Place on serving platter.
3. SPREAD about 2 teaspoons goat cheese over each baguette slice. Top each slice with 1 teaspoon preserves mixture. Garnish with additional fresh thyme, if desired. Serve immediately.
Tip: Triple Berry-Thyme Spread can be prepared up to two days ahead. Cover and chill.